PTFE tape & jointing compound on joints ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Probably been asked before, but no harm in asking again :unsure:.

As a competent DIY'er, I've got to drain the oil fired central heating system to plumb four new radiators into the 15mm copper pipe work. I've always used PTFE tape and jointing compound on all my joints, but It's a pain in the ass, and adds quite a bit of time to the job at my pace.

With modern rad valves (all Peglar) and olives, do any of you just rely on the olive to do its job, or do you not take the risk and use the tape and JC ??

Cheers,
Graeme.

Sponsored Links
Back in the real world we just use jet blue on compression fittings. Actually allows you to tighten better as there's less friction.

Sponsored Links
Clean pipe, new fittings, new olives, joints aligned- no you don't need PTFE or anything else

New fittings, then no need for anything. If the pipe is older then give it a shine with a green scourer, 120 grit paper 1st.

If the pipe's marked/throated at all then it's a judgement call whether to replace or not.

Thanks for the replies :).

Hmmm....think I might leave a couple of radiators without paste n tape, just to see if it's leak free. Not the end of the world to drain the central heating system down again to fix it.

Cheers

I use this stuff

A professional plumber recommended it, which is good enough for me:

51999.jpg

by the way, I never know on plumbing fittings what part is making the seal: its sometimes the thread, sometimes an olive, sometimes an end seal with a fibrewasher.

If it has an olive then the olive would always be the seal

If there are 2 threads, a male into female fiittng, then that would always use either a rubber washer in the female fitting, if the male fitting fits all the way into a flat face of the female fitting and there is no real requirement for it to be directional or tape/thread would be used around the male threads if it is or it won't reach the base.

If it has 2 flat contact faces or a flat female face and male flange that fits inside it, it will normally use a fibre/rubber washer.

Of course there are always exceptions, especially these days, but these would be the standard ones I'd expect to find.

In the end I bottled it, and taped and jointed all the rads.....no leaks !!

Thanks for the advice though, much appreciated (y);)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back