"Pug"/ mortar slopped over patio! Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The "builder" (pah!) I recently engaged to inset 10 new patio slabs has left loads of mortar ("pug"?) all over not only the old tiles but the new ones, too.

We have smears, but also blobs of it and it's all dried rock hard. It looks awful.

It is hardly surprising that someone who could be so careless and sloppy isn't interested in coming back and clearing it up. He's been paid so he's not going to come and do it, is he?

I spent 2 hrs today with a very high pressure attachment on a specially-bought pressure washer and not one bit of this mortar has budged.

1. How can I get rid of this stuff? Should I get a professional cleaner in? I looked on the net and a site suggested muriatic acid but then another site terrified me with the dangers of it.

2. Should I take him to the Small Claims court or something? Or ask for a partial refund to pay for a professional?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
First off, clean off the big blobs with a bolster trowel or anything with a wide flat blade even a wallpaper scraper.

then try your acid

Sponsored Links
I had a helper chip away at the bigger bits by slamming a sharp scraper down to chop them into small pieces then found that most of them come off with the high pressure hose.

The man responsible denies slopping pug everywhere and said "someone else" must have done it. He is the ONLY person who has ever done any work on my patio.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back