Pulsating Shower Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if I can get a 3rd, 4th and 5th opinion etc. about my shower. I have a combined shower enclosure supplied via a pump that was fitted in the airing cupboard next to the shower. When it came to fitting the pump I admitted to not knowing enough about how to go about plumbing it so asked my neighbour who installs bathrooms to take a look and give me a quick 5 minute lesson and guide as to where to pick up the feeds for the pump which was as follows:-

1] Cut new tank fitting into Cold water tank in loft and run straight down to pump in 15mm copper

2] Fit a reducing tee piece into the 22mm copper pipe that comes out of the top of the cylinder and then again run to pump in 15mm copper.

3] From the pump run through the wall to bathroom in 15mm copper via a 1/4 turn compression isolation v/v in each line.

I did this and whilst not overly impressed with pressure seemed to work ok other than the pulsing problem which is if you turn on the shower then the pump cuts in, cuts out and in again every 5-10 secs for approx 6 times and then runs perfectly. This I just left and coped with for 6 months.
Not sure if it is relevent but the water that comes through when it is initially pulsing is cold and then when it finally runs constant you can hear the last of some air bubbles coming through the pipes before it then heats up to temp.

I recently had a new boiler fitted and the fitter also replaced the cylinder and whilst trying to not sound like the worst case customer I suggested to him that since he changed the cylinder the shower pulsing seems to last longer and has on occasion been known to come on,and then go off for about 30-45 secs before suddenly springing back to life before then going off.
He tells me that the fault is unrelated to the cylinder change even though my hot feed from the pump comes from the cylinder and in fact it is the way that I have done the pipework is wrong. He is saying that I shouln't have got my feed from the top of the cylinder and should have in fact got it from a foot down? and also because I have run the hot feed horizontally from the top of the tee piece and around two sides of the airing cupboard before going down to the pump that I have created an area for air pockets to rise from the cylinder and accumulate in my feed pipe. He also says the screwdriver operated isolation v/v 's I have fitted will be restricting flow to the shower and that they should be replaced with ball valves with handles on.

I am eager to sort out the problem as the pulsing is getting annoying to the point where I am now having to turn on the shower, get undressed, brush teeth and only then get in!

I'd appreciate any advice and as to which plumber is right if either or perhaps both, sorry there are no pics I am currently hunting around for the camera lead so I can upload

Cheers

Darren

Sponsored Links
IHe tells me that the fault is unrelated to the cylinder change

correct

even though my hot feed from the pump comes from the cylinder and in fact it is the way that I have done the pipework is wrong.
correct.

He is saying that I shouln't have got my feed from the top of the cylinder and should have in fact got it from a foot down?
not really true could of used a flange.

and also because I have run the hot feed horizontally from the top of the tee piece and around two sides of the airing cupboard before going down to the pump that I have created an area for air pockets to rise from the cylinder and accumulate in my feed pipe.
correct

some pumps allow connection to the horizontal outlet of the cylinder.
but the t should of pointed downwards before going horizontal to the wall or been taken from the vertical pipe below where the horizontal connects to.

He also says the screwdriver operated isolation v/v 's I have fitted will be restricting flow to the shower and that they should be replaced with ball valves with handles on
correct

surrey flange.
Flangesurrey.jpg

full bore lever valve.

18591.jpg

The surrey flange you have in the picture, is that what is needed in the top of the cylinder to deal with the foot down bit he is talking about, are they not fitted as standard in the cylinder and if not what do I need to know to order one?
Thread Size?
Do BES do them?
How much?
Do you think by fitting one of those, altering pipework so the tee maybe points down before going around the walls and finally changing valves that it may fix the problem?

Thanks for your advice

Darren

Sponsored Links
The surrey flange you have in the picture, is that what is needed in the top of the cylinder

techflow_turbo_installation_manu-1.jpg

to deal with the foot down bit he is talking about,
when he said a foot down he means a essex flange.

41238.jpg

techflow_turbo_installation_manual_.jpg

are they not fitted as standard in the cylinder
you can get cylinders with a side entry already fitted
but you useally ask for that type of cylinder when you buy it.

and if not what do I need to know to order one?
Thread Size?
Do BES do them?
How much?
if you get the salamander one from screwfix it comes so that it can be fitted to a male/female cylinder.
£24.49
Do you think by fitting one of those, altering pipework before going around the walls and finally changing valves that it may fix the problem?

Thanks for your advice

Darren

yes

this is a diagram where the pump supply is teed off the horizontal pipe
some pumps allow it, some don't.
look in your mi it will tell you.

techflow_turbo_installation_manu-2.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back