pump has stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our shower pump worked fine when we moved into our house.

Recently the pump became intermittent - sometimes you'd turn the shower on at the wall and it would work fine - other times nothing.

Now the pump never works.

With the shower head held in the bottom of the bath, water still comes out (you can even have a shower of sorts). So the tap is still working.

There is power to the pump.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Martin

Sponsored Links
First thought is the flow switch(es).

Second thought is fuse - have you checked the electrical supply to the pump?

If you need more thoughts, then please give full information about the make and model of the pump.

Hello, thanks for that.

It's not the fuse - I went to check that and found there wasn't one in there! Wiring bypasses fuse. However, there is a point of isolation.

Pump is a Monsoon Twin N1.5bar. Cyclinder above pump is a Zilmet.

I had thought perhaps the flow switch. There's a white electrical gadget attached to one of the copper pipes, which I presume is a pressure-sensitive switch. My guess had been that it was scaled-up, hence intermittent functioning before giving up completelky.

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Martin

Have you checked the pressure vessel pre-charge pressure? If you don't have the documentation for it then I would expect it to need precharging to 0.5 bar; you can do it with a bicycle pump.

Stuart Turner will advise on the correct pressure, and they will also help you fault-find the problem, but get yourself ready in front of the pump before calling them.

Sponsored Links
That's great, thank you very much. I'll try the bicycle pump this evening. Failing that, I'll try Stuart Turner - point me in the right direction for their contact details?

Martin

Sorry. Thanks again. I'd thought Stuart Turner might be the resident forum pump expert, rather than a company. Lack of initiative. All of your links work, many thanks again.

No worries. Just to be clear about it, Stuart Turner is the manufacturer of your Monsoon Twin N1.5 bar pump - in my experience the technical department is very helpful.

Have just repaired one .
it was the 220nf capacitor on the PCB.
symptoms were intermittent working.

I have the exact same pump as the original poster. Stuart Turner Monsoon N1.5 twin.

Last Saturday night we had an extended power cut thanks to Southern Electric PD. On Sunday morning went to have a shower and the pump would not work.

Checked fuse and it was fine. You can check if the pump circuitry is OK by using a fridge magnet on the arrow on the outlet of the pump. This should trigger the reed switch. Got nothing.

Looking at the instructions this all points to a PCB failure. Called Stuart Turner who agreed with diagnosis. Ordered new PCB (£52) which was delivered the next day. The new PCB is a revised version. Much more componentry and the power and control cable terminations were now segregated - you have to modify the power cable slightly as the tails need to be longer.

Fitted it and the pump now works fine. I suspect that there was/is an inherent design defect with the original PCB which makes it liable to fail if subjected to power surges or phase failure. The new PCB probably has more built in protection.

This would be a costly fix if you are unable to diy as you could be talking about two visits plus the PCB.

Regards

Ian

Or just one visit by the Stuart Turner engineers but I expect they would be expensive!

Tony

With respect you should not be contemplating a new pump which could cost you £400-£500 because of a failed PCB. Stuart Turner Monsoon pumps - the ones made in Henley - should last for many years. You only use a shower pump intermittently.

Years ago I had a Stuart Turner 'Showermate' pump feeding one shower. I think they buy-in this range from abroad. Worked fine but boy was it noisy. I only changed to the Monsoon N1.5 because it has a larger flowrate & flatter performance curve - it feeds two showers no problem, and is whisper quiet compared to the Showermate.

Regards,

Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back