Bathroom tap not working/Shower pump issue.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have low pressure so installed a shower pump for the our bathroom. The sink and bath taps and the shower run off the pump.

Everything worked fine for nearly five years until the other night! My partner was in the shower and the pump stopped working. We bought a refurbed unit so thought fair enough it's kanckereand we need a new one. I fitted a new salamander unit, all straightforward. Now our bathroom taps work fine, the shower works fine but the sink taps do not work, a lame dribble.

If I turn the pump off, the bath taps and shower still work, albeit with reduced pressure. However the sink taps dribble at the same rate regardless whether the pump is on or not. Turning the sink tap on does not activate the pump like the shower/bath does.

I have never been so stumped by something and I'm fairly capable with basic DIY like changing taps and a pump!

Observations:

1. The sink tap is a mixer. the bath is not.
2. detaching the flexible hot/cold hoses from the sink tap shows that water is flowing normally. pump is activated too
3. there's no leaking pipes
4. the sink taps worked fine previously.
5. the new pump is lower pressure at 1.8bar. previous was 2 bar (possibly less if it was on its way out). but everything less the sink taps work
6. When trying the sink taps all other taps/shower are off.

Seems to be a problem from the hose to the tap. but what? and why would it all of a sudden happen?

More than happy to look silly here with a simple fix!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it worked before and deffo runs off the pump then could well be air?

where in relation to the pump are the taps that are not working?

did you replace the pump like for like? Ie; universal pump with a universal or positive head with positive head?

So yer deffo runs off the pump and it was a like for like swap. If the shower or bath taps didn't work I'd also think air.

The sink taps are the first plumbed in tap from the pump and are about a foot so higher so nothing out of the normal/what you'd expect. Confused!

Guess I'll have to change the tap and start process of elimination.

Blockage in the pipework to the sink taps? Could replacing the pump have dislodged some limescale there?

Sponsored Links
@just pumps Isolation valve is open.

@Alec_t yer It could be the case but would have to be in the actual tap as it's a mixer. Noticed that when I turn the shower or bath tap on then turn the sink tap on the pressure does increase significantly. still not to what it should be but certainly an increase.

I'll take the tap off tomo and have a look.

If you remove the Flexi hose tap tails from the supply pipe,does water flow from the supply pipes at full pelt ,and activate the pump ?
If the answer is yes ,the Flexi is blocked / partially or the tap itself is.

Flexi hoses, especially non-WRAS approved ones can break down inside and block the water flow.
Try removing the flexis from the tap and doing a flow test through them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back