shower and mixer taps running cold.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a one bedroom flat with a header tank and hot water cylinder powered by a baxi solo 12 HE. There is a salamander whole house pump for the shower and all the taps (except kitchen sink cold). The pump takes the hot water from the cyclinder via an essex flange and cold direct from a 42 gallon header tank above the cylinder. The radiators (4) are on a sealed system with an expansion tank.
Im having trouble with the hot water from the taps and the shower. The central heating is working fine. The kitchen mixer tap runs really hot until it fills about half the sink then goes lukewarm then cold. If you turn it off for a minute then back on it will do the same again (Cylinder is fully heated and full). The bathroom sink mixer tap will only get luke warm when turned on to hot and stays lukewarm. The bath taps which are not mixer seem to work fine and you can fill a bath with the hot water cyclinder. The mixer shower is competely cold.
I have tried a few things so far-
Turned off the cold water going into the pump, this allows hot water to come out of the shower at the temp it is set on the cyclinder thermostat but there is no cold water to any taps obviously, except the kitchen sink which runs off the mains.
If i turn off the pump the mixer taps seem to work again including the shower but pressure is not enough (reason for pump in the first place)
I have covered the kitchen mixer tap and opened it half warm to force mains cold water through the hot water pipes to get rid of any possible airlocks (while the pump was off).
None of these things have worked and i am stumped as to why the shower and taps wont work properly when there is a full cylinder of hot water and working pump.
I've just put in the current boiler and pump last year and spent a lot on this system. it has worked for a year, the tenant says it stopped working when he first put on the central heating this year. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Check that the gatevalve or lever valve for hot water is fully open.
Also check the vent pipe end isn't inside the water level in cold water tank.

What make of pump and how is hot feed connect to cylinder?

For a one bed flat, you be better off with a combi, do away with cold water tank, cylinder and pump.

Daniel.

It just needed a new thermostatic mixer cartridge in the shower bar. Cold water was getting through to the hot water pipes. No need to rip out the whole system and put in a combi just yet. Thanks anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back