fitting a pump to boost shower pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,
Finally pulled my finger out and started work fitting a pump to upgrade the water pressure for the bathroom. But a little unsure where to put the pump in the grand piping chain.

The current setup is that the hot and cold water pipes (gravity fed h/w cylinder, mains pressure cold - hence the need for extra pressure on the hot) emerge in the bathroom, run under the bath and towards the tap end. Once they get there they Tee of to the combined bath mixer / shower head and also off to the bathroom sink (separate hor and cold taps.
Question is do I put the pump in the chain before the pipes tee off to sink and bath, thus boosting the pressure to sink and bath, or should I re-jig the piping so that it tee's off for a un-pumped feed to the sink (not ar$ed about increased pressure for the sink), so only the pipes to the bath mixer / shower head get the pumped pressure?

Or doesn't it matter :confused:

Sponsored Links
have you thought about putting the pump next to the hw cylinder thus out the way and powers all hot water

relief123 said:
have you thought about putting the pump next to the hw cylinder thus out the way and powers all hot water

That's roughly what I'm planning to do, but just unsure if I need to / can have a pump powering a mixer head and a pair of separate taps for the sink - spliting it isn't a problem if I have to.

is the shower head of rigid construction?
if not it will need a double check valve to prevent backflow. (if unsure stick the double check valves on anyway better safe than sorry)
if its mains pressure it will need to be a thermostatic mixing valve,
Yes the pump will be ok to pump all or just the shower its up to you

Sponsored Links
but make sure you dont pump mains fed... only pump cylinder hot water or cold can be pumped as long as from a cwsc tank normally in the loft and not the rising main

is the shower head of rigid construction?
if not it will need a double check valve to prevent backflow.
It would only need single, and then only if the end of the hose can go below bath spillover level. Hence those silly loops on riser rails.

Hose musn't be able to reach the loo.

If you pump all the hot and open the kitchen tap, person in the shower will notice it!

Pressure from the mains and the pump will be very different so a thermostatic mixer still might not cope - consider a pr equalilsing valve.

r15.14c of water regs book states a double check valve is needed should the spill over level be reached by flexible hose to protect against cat 3 / 5 fluid risks
if hose is able to reach spill over levels of toilet = fluid cat 5 bidet = fluid cat 5 or bath = fluid cat 3 then double check be needed.
each pipe needs to be fitted with one.

+ depending on your needs for the pumped system is up to you where the pump can be situated, and yes it will alter as chris pointed out should you pump the whole hw system and someone else uses another hw tap/shower etc... so if you just want the shower pumped and nothing else then just connect to the shower only.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back