Pump leak on an EcoTec824

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, first posting.

My trusty ecotec 824 has developed a leak from the pump housing. I took the housing off and there is a rubber seal at the front that looked OK, reset the seal and refitted the casing but it is still leaking.

Can I buy a new seal from anywhere or am I looking at a new pump? The Valiant ecotec parts catalogue doesn't offer the seal as a seperate item but I know sometimes other manufacturers parts will do.

regards,

Martin

Sponsored Links
Bearings gone on the wilo pump, u need the new replacement, not really a diy job as quite awkward

full pump reqd housing split.

Really? Because it does come in two parts and bolts together and there is no visible sign of damage.

I am not attempting this DIY, I have a boiler engineer mate but we are trying to kepp part costs down.

Sponsored Links
If its the WILO pump then yes, the pump is knackered and can not be resealed, and the replacement is not the same so full pump inc housing.

It most likley will be the WILO as the newer pump rarely if ever leak.

What age is boiler?

U asked for advice mate and have it, it's a known fault as SGM said, they leak through the small slot at the bottom of the pump where it bolts to the plastic body, it means the bearings gone and the new whole replace pump is a grundfos, u have to change the whole lot, trust us ;)

Worse still, only a registered gas engineer ( RGI ) should have removed the front cover as you have done as it forms the room sealed aspect of the boiler's design.

The advice is to get the pump replaced by an RGI and the combustion checked on his flue gas analyser.

Tony

True enough, just reread your 1st post, you shouldnt be in there, at least not without your gas reg'd mate and his combustion analyser.

True enough, just reread your 1st post, you shouldnt be in there, at least not without your gas reg'd mate and his combustion analyser.
I didn't go in alone...

Boiler is about 9 year old and my mate went away to check his info (he is not a Vailent expert) and I as a complete amateur thought I would try here. Some good advice. I will be ordering a new pump tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back