Pump noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently (just before Christmas) descaled central heating using Fernox DS-40, flushed system out with neutraliser plus three flushes of cold water. Refilled system, added inhibitor (hard water area).

System is working fine now.....EXCEPT:

The pump (Grundfos, three years old, don't have the model number to hand, sorry) constantly makes a "ticking" noise (sounds a bit like loose ball bearings rattling around, though I hope it isn't that!). When the heating switches off the pump makes a sort of "whooshing" sound (like sand running down a pipe). This happens regardless of pump speed.
The system is pretty air free as far as I can see (I've bled it quite a few times, all the rads are hot all the time).
Could this still be sludge in the pump/system? (Shouldn't all the flushing have got rid of it?) Or am I looking at something more serious?

Sponsored Links
Air sounds just like sand particles. Collecting any air anywhere? Check pipe layout, and joints on input side of pump back to boiler are all A1, as tiny leaks there can let air in.
Whooshing is airy water moving to release pressure/head. What's pipe layout from boiler? Check there's no pump-over in f& e tank when pump starts/stops

NB you did neutralise the DS-40?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back