Pump removal problem

A bit late for the OP, but another technique to free stubborn nuts is two hammers (or one hammer and a similar weight or heavier chunk of metal).

Hold the heavier hammer (or weight) against one flat of the nut as an anvil, and give the opposite flat a tock. Working around all the accessible flats helps to free stubborn nuts with less chance of damaging anything than just hammering on it.

Sponsored Links
If it is the big nut you have cut off just use the big nuts off the new valves and fit them to the old ones.
There are 2 small cut outs on the nuts. Line them up with the valve edge and they come off.

All done. Heating on and hot water back.
I did a google search for 'pump valve 28mm' and Tool Station (new one on me) came up. Went to the web site and did a store search and there it was, in the same trading estate as my local Screwfix. Would you believe it. The guy in the store said they've been there for 2 years but they're hidden away which isn't so bad because I regularly find I have to order stuff in from screwfix.
Thanks to all for your help, particularly those who replied yesterday so quickly after I'd asked. Tamz, I thought about using the old valves but didn't notice that I could line up the nuts as you've explained so hacked off the valves and used the newly bought ones. That would have been a real life saver. Look nice and new and the wrench gripped so much better than the old ones which were fairly rounded off before I even started on them.
CHHEEEEEERRRRRRSSSS All. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back