pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have decided to put my pump under floor instead of vertically under boiler. Wife didn't want to look at it when she was in kitchen! This will obviously mean that the pump will be in a horizontal position. When fitting pump this way, does it have to be in an upright postion?

Sponsored Links
Shaft must be horizontal. Pumping uphill is better than down.

Alarm bells ringing re your pump position in the system. It should all go
Boiler (flow) up to vent (preferably air separator) then feed, then pump (preferably up again) then valves etc, then rads, then boiler.

Also you don't want to make it too hard to find and access it for service or replacement in the future.

ChrisR = Yes I will be installing it in the order that you stated
AdamW = There will be a hatch above pump for access.
But,can pump sit on its side or does it have to be upright?

Sponsored Links
pump can be horizontal, but positioning is important. The bleed screw should be on the side, not pointing upwards or downwards (because the motor must be horizontal).

'(because the motor must be horizontal).'

Minimises pump bearing and seal wear.

Alan

Why should the pump perferably pump up? In the change I am planning the only suitable place is the airing cupboard so I would be pumping horizontal, perhaps even down a touch so the vent is higher.

Would I be better to mount the pump vertical and pump up (even it only a foot) and then add in an air vent cap? The vent take off would then not be the highest point.

Downwards-pumpers can trap air. Horizontal is OK it seems to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back