pumping up cold feed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gravity DHW (Dumball) with feed and expansion coming off flow and return at cylinder. Heating is controlled by room stat and pump on return to boiler.
DHW only does work OK, when heating is called hot water is pumped up DHW return past cylinder and up cold feed into F & E Tank. Suspected sticking Dumball but checked and is OK, now suspect pump. Ideas would be appreciated.
Heating appears to be a one pipe system and at one point has a 3inch iron pipe running through the loft this empties when the pump is on. It did work for last 10 years.

Sponsored Links
Seco Services, thanks for the reply, no I don't think there is a blockage. When I was draining the system to check the Dumball, which is on the heating flow above the boiler, with water still in the system it was coming from both connections to the Dumball. All pipework near the boiler is 28mm copper it then goes into 2.5 inch and 3inch iron, I can't see the iron being blocked. I still suspect the pump, is it possible for the pump not to have enough force to lift the Dumball, then pump up the DHW (cylinder) return.

i don't suspect the dumball and if i did i would be looking for it to pump up the vent not the cold feed, unless vent is blocked.

Sponsored Links
Checked Dumball, that is OK. do you feel pump does not have power to lift it and is then pumping up both cylinder flow and return.

no i don't suspect pump either.

i'm with crud in system.
have you got a drawing of the system pipework ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back