Purdy Brushes

RMS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend Purdy brushes? Thinking about trying something new. They seem expensive!

I currently use Hamilton.

All thoughts welcome.

Sponsored Links
purdy brushes are great quality but are expensive. i tend to wait until my local trade paint center have a sale as they tend to sell them off at half price. i too use hamilton brushes (perfection range) and find these good quality. if i'm using water based gloss for example i will use purdy as they leave a better finish in my eyes.

I also use the hamilton perfection range.

The reason I asked is because my local screwfix has 50% of them.

i would snap them up at half price. you can't go wrong!:cool:

goes to show if you keep your eyes open there are bargains out there! ;)

Sponsored Links
The determination of the Purdy brush can be classed as perfection in a ferrule, yet the dramatic use of the inclusion of varying synthetic filaments can often become confusing. As a brief example, the Syntox has a dramatic effect with regard to the brush mark free use of both oil and water based clear systems, whilst the Chinex is more adapt regarding the more heavy system applications. And let us not forget the pure boar china in black or white, the latter being the firmer. With regard to the Hamilton, the perfection premium would be the better choice.

Dec

As an all round brush capable of applying oil and Wb finishes you cant go wrong with purdy.
Didn't know srewfix sold them, is it a national offer?

• Thanks
Reactions: RMS
This offer is limited to my local branch. I decided to purchase these brushes. I'll feedback once i've used them.

Thanks for the replies.

Purdy Monarch elite is virtually all I ever use. they are very versatile, unlike some of the wooster brushes, and easy to clean.
I keep an eye on ebay as occasionally a bargain pops up.

I am tempted to try a Farrow & Ball brush to try as I have a local stockist, and apparently they are synthetic. But I wouldn't mind finding out who makes them if anyone knows.

Not sure as to who makes the Farrow & Ball synthetic, yet I will have a little nose around. Another site to keep a sharp eye on would be the Decorating Warehouse, you can get some cracking deals from them.

Dec

Just thought i'd let you all know that Brewers has an offer on (well presume its all the stores) 5 monarch elites £29.99.
1, 1 inch (waste of time but still)
2, 1 and a half inch
1, 2 inch
1, 3 inch

Quite good value i think but realise they're only in the south, you could check their website for mail order (if they do mail order)?

The range of Purdy brushes in the UK is very limited. I use the monachs for emulsion and my Wooster Pro Extra for oil based cabinet painting.

As theDec said- The range is very overwhelming. I popped into Home Depot in LA last week and only came away with 8 Purdy brushes because I didn't recognise the names of them and didn't want to end up with brushes that I might bin. Had they sold Wooster I'd have purchased a bucket load.

mind you- £13 for a 4 inch purdy- can't complain :D

Thats more than half what I last paid in Leyland SDM (about 6 years ago), when they used to sell them

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

If you are painting a smooth surface with oil-base paint, purdy brushes are your best choice because they are soft and supple.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back