Push Button Flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a toilet with a push button flush which operates the flush mechanism by cable. I've only worked on the siamp style in the past so am not familiar with these cable operated ones.

The mechanism's on the blink (once the flush button is depressed, the flushing mechanism stays up/in the open position which means that the water from the fill valve just goes straight into the pan). Not sure why it's started doing this all of a sudden - doesnt'gravity just notmaly make it fall back into place?

Ideally it needs replacing, but how does this work on a cable operated mechanism? Does a whole new flush unit including buttons need to be purchased?

Sponsored Links
Its usually the cable inner gone stiff in the outer casing. I'd try the following:

a. Remove flush valve, clean and remove limescale.
b. Disconnect cable (if necessary), run some 3 in 1 or similar oil into it. Not too much or it will damage the plastics. Work the cable back and forth to get the oil all the way through.
c. If that doesn't work wrap a length of solder around the top of the flush valve in a way which gives it extra weight but doesn't impede its opening and closing.

If you end up doing b or c, I'd buy a new flush valve and cable. The cable etc. normally comes with the valve, but you may need to check and order the correct length.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back