Push fit drip?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Had a few issues with water today, in the end got a plumber out to sort out boiler which was not turning on. During his investigation he was moving the plastic 22mm pipe trying to get to a sensor behind it.

Now ive turned on the heating and one of the elbows is dripping, very slowly so not unduly concerned right now but just annoyng giving the time ive spent cleaning up water today.

Ill attach a photo.
Now, im assuming these elbows are just push fit?
On initial connection are they just push together with a bit of grease to form the connection?
Do I just make sure theyre tight and use a bit more grease to stop the drip?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Looks more like a solvent weld overflow or boiler condensate pipe can you take some more pics from further back?

Definitely solvent weld but looks like a speedfit at the bottom

Sponsored Links
Pressure relief piped into condense pipe. Heath Robinson comes to mind.

:D

had to look him up...

so....how would I stop a drip on a 'solvent weld' joint?

Your best option is to cut the leaking part out and renew the section. It's a better and probably quicker option than trying to bodge a repair.

You could do a tempory repair by applying solvent weld glue or silicone around the leaking elbow.

AS Rampage77 says looks a bit iffy, sometimes a bit of solvent around the joint works but, a proper repair and perhaps get a qualified installer to check it out is the best bet.

Pipe runs from boiler to waste pipe.

OMG!! What a mess!! It's funny, when you see soldered 45* bends you think; Oh, what kind of Plumber wouldn't use a bending machine?? Conclusion, a sh.te one, then you look at the rest of the install & it's always the correct conclusion. Same with loads of end feed elbows, a pro never uses elbows on a pipe they can bend.

Agreed, that's what it looks like.

They should be run separate, without seeing the way it terminates it's a bit of guess work but, the condensate should not be run in copper in any part (check it runs to discharge in plastic), likewise I would not run any part of the Pressure Relief Pipework in Overflow pipe also I would not use a pushfit fitting (Speedfit Tee) on any part of the condensate or Pressure Relief pipework incase the "O" ring is attacked by the condensate products or High Temperature .

In summary, I would remove both the condensate and PR Pipework and run them separately as they should be.

Again depending on how it terminates you could have a situation where the condensate pipe could freeze and become blocked therefore the PR discharge has nowhere to go.

OMG!! What a mess!! It's funny, when you see soldered 45* bends you think; Oh, what kind of Plumber wouldn't use a bending machine?? Conclusion, a sh.te one, then you look at the rest of the install & it's always the correct conclusion. Same with loads of end feed elbows, a pro never uses elbows on a pipe they can bend.

whilst your post isnt particularly helpful at all. I dont see the prob with 45deg bend as best use of tight space here.
also I asked many 'pros' regarding doing the job, its not easy to find excellent tradesmen generally...I don't wont to offend anyone on here but lets say I checked a few guys.

Agreed, that's what it looks like.

They should be run separate, without seeing the way it terminates it's a bit of guess work but, the condensate should not be run in copper in any part (check it runs to discharge in plastic), likewise I would not run any part of the Pressure Relief Pipework in Overflow pipe also I would not use a pushfit fitting (Speedfit Tee) on any part of the condensate or Pressure Relief pipework incase the "O" ring is attacked by the condensate products or High Temperature .

In summary, I would remove both the condensate and PR Pipework and run them separately as they should be.

Again depending on how it terminates you could have a situation where the condensate pipe could freeze and become blocked therefore the PR discharge has nowhere to go.

thanks. Ill check this out

whilst your post isnt particularly helpful at all. I dont see the prob with 45deg bend as best use of tight space here.
also I asked many 'pros' regarding doing the job, its not easy to find excellent tradesmen generally...I don't wont to offend anyone on here but lets say I checked a few guys.

Granted my input is not helpful, but in no way was it a dig at you. I can completely understand why any member of the unsuspecting British public are conned, course Cowboys are cancer that's running through our industry. Most of whom are dangerously under trained or lack any experience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back