Push flush button keeps sticking!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:(
We've recently moved into a new flat and recently the push flush button on the toilet keeps sticking in. The cistern is hidden behind the bathroom shelf and we have to take it off every time to fix it. I've never seen this type of flush mechanism before but as far as I can see the button forces air down a tube which pushes a rubber bung up which moves the flush up to flush the toilet. When the button is depressed the air comes back in the flush falls back down on top of the bung and (supposedly) the air pushes the button back out. It seems like the air is not coming back in and that the pressure when the button is pushed is actually forcing the bung out of it's socket which could be the reason why the air can't get back in to push the button back out...phew! To remedy it we have to remove the rubber air bung from the pipe to let air back in and the button returns to normal. This used to happen once a week, now it's every day and the bathroom shelf is permanently off so we can reach the cistern. It looks like a cheap and nasty job to be honest. Any tips on what I can do or where I can replace this bung? (apologies if it's not called that but I can't find a name or picture for it anywhere)

Sponsored Links
New Build :?: ..get on to the builder .........New to you..any chance of you taking a pic. ;)

I'll try and get some pics when I get home. It's all very cheap and plastic looking, driving me mad.

Pneumatic flush - lovely! Great if you want to put the push button miles away from the cistern. Might be worth checking that the spring that is behind the push button is working OK - if the button doesn't spring back correctly the flush stays up.

If the buttons not too far from the cistern you could replace it with a cable operated version made by the same manufacturer- if you're lucky you might find that you can just unclip the top of the flush mechanism and replace it - leaving the bottom support "cage" in place - saves having to unplumb the rest of the cistern.

Sponsored Links
As far as I can tell, there is no spring behind the button. Hence why when the 'bung' is removed it just pops back out. I think it's soley based on the air going through the connecting pipe. When the button is pressed, the air inflates the 'bung' to raise the flush and then returns down the pipe to push the button back. They've tried to be posh I think and save on money. What's wrong with a handle I say? Cheap and cheerful and does the job.

The 'bung is the round black thing. The white bar on top is pushed up by the 'bung' inflating when the button is pressed making it flush.

The 'bung itself from underneath. This is where the air comes in

The 'bung' from on top. I think this may be faulty, where do I find a replacement?

This is the 'bung' inflated (button pushed in) notice it comes away from the base as it inflates - Is this normal?

Like I say this plastic monstrosity is causing me grief on a daily basis. Any suggestions on what could be wrong or where I can find replacement parts?

Not sure if it is the bellows thats faulty - I still think there should be a spring somewhere in the button mechanism. There may be a kink or blockage in the air pipe which prevents the bellows retracting - its the weight of the valve unit that forces the bellows back down - a blockage/kink somwhere may be preventing this.
Not sure what the make of pneumatic system is - could be Macdee which I think is made by polyplumb - maybe try them to see if they can get spares. As I said an alternative might be a cable operated button and flush valve made by the same people - hopefully the cage/valve sizes will be compatable. You may be lucky and find that something like the Wirquin flush valves sold in the sheds will fit without having to replace the whole unit. ;)

PS - looking at the photos - what's the black stuff wrapped around the top of the valve unit? Is it there normally?

lol. The black stuff is duct tape holding many pennies on one side of the flush pipe so that it is weighted down just enough to stop it continually flushing (persistent glug glug sound). Seems to do the trick. I tried adjusting the float but like everything else it's also made of cheap plastic and not very good. I'll look up the manufacturer and see about a new bellow.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back