Pushfit or compression

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm changing a radiator in an upstairs bedroom, the existing one is 3 meters long, I'm swapping it for a 1600mm one, obviously the pipework will need altering to suit.

What fitting would you use to make the alterations? copper pushfit or brass compression?

Ideally the joints would be soldered, however I have no desire to learn by creating floods, lol.

System is sealed

Sponsored Links
I always feel more confident to install compression joints in a customers house ~ but pushfit is faster

Either will do if above the floor level, although that won't look so great. If you are taking up the floor and re-piping below floor level, then you must use push fit, not compression, and use it properly according to the manufacturers instructions, to the rule. In defence of push fit, I always take lots of time on each fitting as its still quicker than compression or solder.

I've used plenty of compression joints before, however never used pushfit so am a bit dubious about using them, from what i've read push fits are ok provided a proper pipe slice is used and the slack in the fittings isnt abused.

Sponsored Links
Compression fittings not good under floor. Movement of pipes could cause a drip and if there's a £ 3k floor laid on top, it's a nightmare! Correctly done pushfit with correct pipe (same manufacturer if plastic) is guaranteed by manufacturers, some for 50 years!

I hear you, fortunately I wouldn't dream of wasting 3 grand on floor covering :LOL:

Push fit it is then, the pipework is easily accessible, when I have my boiler serviced next I may get him to do the job right with soldered fixings.

In push fit it won't need changing later to soldered. Bear in mind there are some cheapo push fit brands newly on the market which might be best avoided under floor level! I would recommend grey Polyplumb fittings and Polyplumb barrier pipe in terms of quality.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back