Putting a shower attachment on an old bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any ideas?

I don't think I can get one "off the shelf" and I want to keep the bath.

Attachments

• bath back.jpg
    bath back.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 274
  • bath front.jpg
    bath front.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 237
Sponsored Links
1. There's more to it than just attaching a shower. System / boiler type, pressure, flow rates?
2. Measure the distance between the centre of each tap. If its 180 mm you might be able to get a bath / shower mixer to replace the taps.
3. If you can get a shower mixer, you'll find it difficult to get one which stand off enough to get that plug handle through the gap between spout and bath.

Just over 180mm. 182 or 183 I measure.
I am not looking to have much elevation necessarily,just something hand held although if an elevation was possible I would consider it .

It's an oil burner.

1. Is it tank fed hot and cold, tank fed hot with mains cold, or combi boiler where most likely hot and cold are mains pressure. If either / both tank fed you might have pressure problems without a pump.
2. You might get away with something like https://www.bakerandsoars.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=2761, but doesn't look like enough room for plug handle.
3. In my opinion you'd need to take the taps off and directly measure the distance between the centres of the holes in the bath.

Sponsored Links
CBDE gave you a solution.

You should be thanking him, not disrespecting him!!!

Bloody Diyer's!!!!!

Andy

CBDE gave you a solution.
In all fairness @HERTSDRAINAGE2010 , one look at the taps in the picture would have shown that they wouldn't fit in a million years and the OP may have thought it was a pizz take but you're right the reply could have been a little nicer.

OP, assuming you have the supply to feed a modern thermo shower in will be nigh on impossible to get something to fit that bath, the only solution may be wall mounted.

In mms

Circumference at base of each tap =175
(but it tapers upwards like a woman's waist to 115 before bulging out again towards the top as visible in the pics.)

Also not circular but elliptic

Diameters are 40 and 30 (width and depth)

So too small it seems for the rubber attachments (which I use elsewhere in the house on more modern baths)

I was thinking more along the lines of antiquey fittings but they are really dear(about a thousand from memory) and so any alternative would be looked at.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back