Putting door on Indesit built in washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently I replaced my Smeg washing machine with an Indesit washing machine (BIWMIL81284 UK). I have managed to install it successfully but am now struggling to understand how to fit my cabinet door to the washing machine.

I have two main problems
1) Contrary to what I expected different washing machine models have their hinges at different heights as a consequence the hole already made for the Indesit model is not spaced apart at the same distance as the Smeg model therefore I will need to make a new hole.
i) I am not sure about the best way to get the exact measurement for the space for the new hole on the door.
ii) How do I make the hole?
iii) It appears there is some overlap for the new hole and the current hole (see photo) so should I use Ronsil high performance wood filler to fill some of the hole to make a tight fit?

2) I have read the Indesit health and safety instructions (pages 5-6) but struggle to understand how the magnetic parts to keep the washing machine shut should fit the machine. For example where does the 'No 1 Rubber plug' go? (see photo)

Also despite the instruction manual mentioning a 'Drilling Template' I have not found one.

all help is much appreciated.

thanks,

Peter

Attachments

• hinge holes.jpg
    hinge holes.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 467
  • hinges are differently spaced from old washing machine.jpg
    hinges are differently spaced from old washing machine.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 644
  • Indesit health and safety instructions.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 381
  • magnetic parts I think.jpg
    magnetic parts I think.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 464
  • new rectangular hinge.jpg
    new rectangular hinge.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 441
Sponsored Links
As far as the hinge holes are concerned I would be inclined to glue a piece of plywood in the holes & then start again rather than use filler. It appears to me that you have to make your own template by aligning a strip of wood or paper with the edge of the machine & then scribe the centre of the hinge mounts onto the template & use those centres for the centre of the hole you need to router for the hinges.
I get the impression that you should also router a hole in the bottom right hand corner of the door & stick the rubber plug into it in a position that stops the door flexing when closed, not 100% sure about that though. Might be a lot easier & cheaper though to get a joiner/kitchen fitter. to do it for you, particularly if you do not already have the correct tools

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back