PVA before bonding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I need to build up a level on an existing plastered and emulsioned wall. The white area in photo. Only about 3 or 4mm. Do I pva before bonding? Do I score the wall?
image.jpg

Also do I need to pva where I’ve ‘dug out’ some cracks.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks Alastair but with things as they are I’m going to have to use the bonding I already have so still need advice on best way to apply bonding

If you have it then Pva the solid plastered areas but no need to Pva the plasterboard.
Pva the exposed brickwork after squaring off the jagged edges.
Use a paint brush to brush on the 50:50 Pva & water.

If you skim the painted panel then how do you intend to finish off at the far right outside corner?

you will also need finish plaster, tape & skim bead for plasterboard.

mix a little bonding so its a bit stiff and dub out (fill in) all the obvious gaps and dents, & damaged areas.
skimming coats will bring everything level on one plane.

keep the bonding low to allow for skimming.

scrape out all cracks but stay off the ceiling.

sand down any previous filler.

fwiw: is the cabling modern stuff or the old black rubber sheathed stuff?

Sponsored Links
All cabling is new.

I never realised I should square off the edges before bonding. Thanks

I’m comfortable with the skimming but I’ve forgotten a lot of the prep side. Never did a lot of bonding etc.

If you’re talking about the far right corner on the wall with the socket below it is actually an inside corner. The photo is deceiving. That whole area needs building up about 4mm with bonding. I will score it with knife and use pva. Does it have to be tacky when I start or can it be applied the day before?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back