PVA/mist coat cock-up... Help needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

So it turns out I should have read this forum before getting to work. I've made a PVA/mist coat cock up and would love some advice on rectifying the situation.

I had read recently on another website that adding a blob of PVA to paint was a good thing to do. This sounded believable. So when coming to mist coat I watered down the paint (Jonmatt Contract Matt) at about 70:30 and added the globule of PVA (maybe 75ml to the litre or so of paint). A day after painting, on inspection, the paint would scratch from the wall, leaving bare plaster. This is when I looked up the issue here.

As almost everyone is agreed, PVA in paint is a bad thing, particularly in a mist coat. I've just painted the four walls and ceiling with above mix. What do I do now?

Should I be sanding back to the bare plaster? That sounds like a nightmare...

Any advice would be most gratefully received.

Tom

Sponsored Links
It'll scratch for a week or two until it is fully dry. PVA in paint does no harm and is a popular way of blocking out smoking stains.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back