pvc door lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our back door lock has broken. The key turns but the handle will not go down to unlock/open it. The handle moves up freely and is loose so the locking mechanism must be engaged, but it will not go down to release the lock. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
nightmare, i had a job similar to this, french doors locked shut, i managed to wind the door hinges high as possible on locking side, managed to pull bottom cam out of the keep plate and wedged some packers between the 2 doors then used a hammer and screwdriver on the bottom cam to throw all the other locks, but obviously then had to replace the whole locking mechanism, which i can tell u arn't cheap!

There are various threads that identify approaches to this, but I'd always suggest calling someone with experience - less chance of damage to the door, frame and locking mechanism.

If you're intent on tackling it yourself, the easiest method would be to remove the door of its hinges - assuming the pins are removable. Failing this, try a little more pressure on the handle (make sure it's unlocked first). This works with some mechanisms, but not all.

The way I'd approach it involves manually retracting the mechanism, and if done incorrectly it will damage the frame and possibly door - so I'm not going to cover that.

If you get this far without success - its back to calling someone with experience. It's likely you'll need a new mechanism, so a pro will be able to identify a replacement and secure the property until the new one is fitted. How would you secure the property ?

Sponsored Links
The people who fitted the conservatory are coming tomorrow to fix it i think. Or they have a locksmith coming! I thought it might be a case of take off the handle and screw something up!!! Never mind these things never easy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back