Quarry Tiles, Laying Wood/Laminate Flooring Over

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If anyone could help me with regard laying Laminate and/or wood flooring over a Quarry Tiled Floor I would very much appreciate it.

Is it advisable/possible?

Is it OK to use a self-levelling screed over Quarry Tiles?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
drwmwr said:
Is it OK to use a self-levelling screed over Quarry Tiles?

I would say no, as most quarry tiles have a polish finish and self-levelling such as Laytex would not stick to it.

Why do you need to self-levelling,is it that bad !

If you're going to use laminated flooring you can get a thicker insulation board to override the rough & smoothness which is what it design for and you can buy them at Wickes.

I'm not sure when you say wood flooring,so I can't answer that one.

Applying a coat of tile primer to the tiles would help a screed key to the tiles. Alternatively using some very coarse sandpaper on an electric sander might help but the dust could be pretty harmful (I am thinking silicosis).

As masona says, insulation boards take out some of the high points. If I recall the packaging for mine it is only 2 or 3 mm so if the tiles are THAT bad then it won't do much for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back