Queries on installing new cloakroom basin and mixer tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on replacing the basin in our downstairs toilet within the next couple of months. It's a bit small so going to upgrade it to a slightly larger cloakroom basin.
I also want to fit a single mixer tap rather than a separate hot and cold tap.

Fixing the basin to the wall shouldn't be a problem, however I'm trying to figure out how I'll need to connect the hot and cold pipes and the waste pipe to the new taps/basin.

I would like to use the flexible braided hoses for the hot and cold taps if possible, and also include a shut-off valve on both.

I guess my questions are:

1. What would be the best way to connect the hot and cold pipes to the single mixer tap in the new basin? (Currently they screw/bolt in directly to the basin).

2. What would be the best way to connect the waste pipe to the new basin?

3. Would a standard P Trap still work given that the waste pipe currently comes up from the floor rather than out from the wall.

Thanks in advance.

View media item 91886

Sponsored Links
Well, given that we have no idea what connections are on your new tap, or how you intend to run the new waste pipe, it's a bit of an assumption :LOL:

I don't see a problem with what you suggest, but it does depend on the connections to the tap as to exactly how you go about connecting.

Are you saying you are going to turn the waste pipe out so it runs out of the wall? If so, a P-trap will be perfectly fine.

Thanks TeaTime

I've not purchased anything yet.

I want to leave the waste pipe where it is - i.e. coming up out of the floor.
Will a P-trap work with this?

Once I've bought the bits I'll post more info.

Thanks again.

Drain down both h/w and c/w.

Disconnect everything including the S-trap. Clean & paint background.
Is the new basin going to be centred in the same position as the old basin?

If you can solder then carefully sweat the elbows off the pipes at the wall - leave short clean stubs. Replace the old collars with new. Slip on push-fit elbows/angled service valve tap connectors - these will take isolators and/or flexi connectors. Someone more up to date might suggest better here?

The floor outlet might need another S-trap, but maybe a bottle trap will work with a 32mm x 32mm compression to spigot elbow?

No drain-offs are needed.

AAMOI: if the wall is a stud wall and the floor is accessible suspended you could re-arrange the whole rough-in/first fix and eliminate the floor outlet?

Sponsored Links
I think your waste pipe connections are too close as it stand for a P-trap to be fitted.

You might be able to fit a bottle trap and a tight 90 bend straight afterwards, but you will really need to get the measurments right.

If you are likely to have the new basin waste in the same place, I would keep the S-trap and clean / replace the rubber seals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back