Query around PIR loft insulation and condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking to sort out the insulation in the loft very soon and have opted for PIR between the joists as there isn't much head room to begin with. I've done a bit of research and have read some things about potential condensation when using PIR between it and the plasterboard of the ceiling below.

My 60s built house has ventilation through the eaves which is unblocked and I'm not doing any rafter insulation - is there still a concern around condensation between the foil and plasterboard, or is it enough that the loft space is generally well ventilated?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The PIR needs to be air tight, and if possible use a membrane to help keep moisture from going above the plasterboard. There must be an air gap between the PIR and the roof tiles for ventilation.

Ah I reread this and understand now, I can't see there being a problem with this method as there is plenty of ventilation but others may chip in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back