Dimensions:
Width: 280 cm
Depth: 28 cm
Height: 202 cm

Basematerial: Particleboard, Foil, ABS plastic
Side panel: Particleboard, Foil, Melamine foil, ABS plastic
Plinth front: Particleboard, Foil
Back: Paper board, Foil

I was looking to get a bookcase with the above measurements to muffle some sound from next door as i am currently renting and dont want the expense of floating walls / structural work till im in an owend property. As the noise isn;t bad from next door if an item of this size is filled out with books etc should that go some way to reducing noise as the room is fairly hollow at the moment. I was also wondering if there is a type of proofing i could fit to the rear of the bookcase or would this just cause the sound to bounce back off the wall. The fact that the rear of the bookcase is paperboard/foil made me wonder if it would have any impact at all.

The other option for £100 more is

Basematerial: Particleboard, Oak veneer, Paper, Clear acrylic lacquer
Back: Fibreboard

Thanks in advance[/i]

Sponsored Links
A lot of the problem about sound transmission is, any fixings or anything touching will transmit sound. Isolation, insulation, air gaps and mass sort it out. Isolation is floating walls floors and ceilings, insulation 2" rock-wool slabs do most things. Acoustic tiles deaden the sound in the room your in. Mass can be heavy concrete blocks in a domestic situation. Double tacking plaster board is more the mark, but unless you isolate the whole room loads of dbs will travel down the walls,floors and ceilings. Sorry to be so bleak but people will have you spending loads of money on projects that don't make any difference at all.

Harbourwoodwork pretty much says it all. You don't actually say what kind of noise it is that you want to stop. If the noise is low frequency through the structure of the building then it's very hard to stop it. But noise from voices you may have better success with. I'd say work on making your room less 'live' acoustically by using furnishings like rugs and heavy curtains etc. At least you can take these with you when you move.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back