Query on Hot Water Cylinder Connections....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Complete useless noob here when it comes to these things, but I had noticed a leaking pipe on the top of our hot water cylinder (in the airing cupboard) to which I have temporarily fixed my means of fitting a rubber washer (the nylon one appears to had failed) - but I am not sure how to fix permanent, hence the post.

Bit of background, we have a old Baxi boiler in the kitchen, pump, three way valve and HW cylinder in the airing cupboard and an thermostat on the landing and one on the HW cylinder. We have two tanks in the loft, a large cold water one (which assuming feeds the HW cylinder) and a small one, which I think is the HW expansion tank - both have vent pipes over the top and point back down into them - I think its an Open Vented system?

Now, I am not sure what the two pipes are that go into the top of the HW cylinder, one of them comes from the pump (so I assume its the cylinder coil feed from the boiler? and the other disappears under the floor in the cupboard (the return?) I can identify the cold water feed pipe and the hot water out pipe.

Both of these (15mm copper) pipes have a venting screw on the top which has flat threads (i.e. only has threads on opposing sides). They basically look like a copper T piece where one side goes into the HW cylinder and the other has a thread in it with the bleed screw.

One of these was weeping from the washer, I have replaced the faulty nylon washer with a rubber one and its fine now, but presumably need to replace with another nylon washer?

Also, in trying to stop the water from escaping when undoing the bleed screw I simply couldn't. I turned off the main cold water feed, and switched power off to the pump et al, and drained all the hot water taps till no water came out, but water still escaped out of this pipe - what water is this?

We had an issue where we had a massive air lock in the system, we had a plumber out who tried to vent the pump, then tried both of these pipes and found that the faulty one (wasn't then) released masses of air, which then made the system work again, but air has entered again, which is why I looked at it. He also identified that the HW expansion tank was too low, its about 1m above the pump in the loft, and also said the vent pipe didn't go high enough before it bends back down - it goes up about 40cm - and this needed extending.

I suppose my questions are:

a) Any idea what these two pipes are entering the top of the HW cylinder
b) Would what the plumber said about low vent pipe make air enter the system?

If any more info is required (and I fully expect there is) then i will try my best to supply it.

Thanks in advance.
Dan

Sponsored Links
Post up a photo please Dan & we'll try to ID the connections.

Here we go (excuse the quality & cobweb ;) ).

The leak was from the smaller of the two, and you just make out the rubber washer.

DSC00196.jpg

Sponsored Links
There does appear to be some redundant pipes leading the side of the cylinder, where the inlets have been bunged, and the pipes left there.

I'm sorry I cannot be any more specific.

I wold guess you had a coil failure, and instead of replacing it someone bodged this immersion coil into the top of the cylinder.

Personally I would scrap it and put a new pre lagged cylinder in.

The energy efficiency gains would probably cover the cost within a couple of years.

That would make sense (as from looking at images on the internet) I wondered why we didn't have coil feeds on the sides.

It's a remplacement for the electrical heater in a water tank, and is powered by either a solar water heater or a boiler. I don't knpw how efficient it is, but it must save money!
It's called a sidewinder. If you have lots of sun you could heat it up to 100°C, pushing it, but I reckon it would need a fast circulation, and also need to be quite large to make a difference.
If it's not branched to anything it's useless. If you have a

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back