Question about damp in walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a bathroom fitted by local firm. For the cistern they built a wooden frame, plaster boarded it the tiled it no access apart from where there is a panel on the front (I know it shouldn't really be like that and that's another issue not for here).

I had some dampness on the bedroom wall that backed on to the cistern. Bathroom fitter removed the toilet pan for access and it was dripping. His first thoughts were condensation but looking further the waste pip connector (flexi) had a tear in it so likely source for the damp. This was replaced after drying out and some lagging put round a copper pipe where much of the condensation was forming.

I didn't re-emulsion the bedroom wall (have other things at the moment to do) but wish I had as I'm not convinced it has all cleared up. If I had painted it I think it would be easier to spot.

So I bought a Stanley Moisture Meter(STHT77030)
Internal plaster walls show minimal moisture as 2%
External towards 10%
The area I'm concerned about 30%ish

How concerned should I be about that amount?

If there is no leak into the void I can't see where the condensation could be coming from as the bathroom is well ventilated (powerful extractor fan, window open and door normally open into bedroom when showering). The cistern is Geberit and they say they are fully insulated against condensation.

Sponsored Links
... and some photos so you can get an idea.
damp1.jpg

damp.jpg

Any condensation from the room would form on the coldest point. I don't have a ground floor plan and i haven't surveyed it but what wall is the 'condensation'? If it is the wall backing onto the bathroom (i.e. internal wall) it wouldn't be a common place for signs to appear though again this is very dependant on the construction. If your bathroom is ventilated that is a good sign. Do you do a lot of activity in the bedroom - and by that i mean drying clothes etc.!!

If you a found a split pipe connector it sounds to me like you have sorted the problem.

Moisture Meter are only a rough indication but certainly if a pipe has been intermittently leaking for some time it could take some time for the the plaster and boards to dry out.

Why not mark some points where you are taking the readings and keep a log to see if they improve/worsen. You could also get a dehumidifier (or other source) to 'speed' the dying out and then turn it off again to see if it worsens?

slimj

Sponsored Links
Any condensation from the room would form on the coldest point. I don't have a ground floor plan and i haven't surveyed it but what wall is the 'condensation'? If it is the wall backing onto the bathroom (i.e. internal wall) it wouldn't be a common place for signs to appear though again this is very dependant on the construction. If your bathroom is ventilated that is a good sign. Do you do a lot of activity in the bedroom - and by that i mean drying clothes etc.!!

If you a found a split pipe connector it sounds to me like you have sorted the problem.

Moisture Meter are only a rough indication but certainly if a pipe has been intermittently leaking for some time it could take some time for the the plaster and boards to dry out.

Why not mark some points where you are taking the readings and keep a log to see if they improve/worsen. You could also get a dehumidifier (or other source) to 'speed' the dying out and then turn it off again to see if it worsens?

slimj

The wall showing damp is internal (breeze block) the one adjacent is external. Unfortunately the wall is in a wardrobe and currently doesn't have doors fitted. I fear when I put doors on it will start worsening and perhaps smelling. Good point about putting marker points and I do have a dehumidifier somewhere.

I did leave it exposed for around two weeks disconnected and it did appear to dry out. I suppose if I had the moisture meter then I would of had a comparison!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back