Question about leaking overflw pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The overflow pipe is leaking from the smaller of the two tanks in my loft.

Having opened up the tank to look inside the float and metal rod seem to be working fine with free movement, but even when the water reachs the supposed cut off level the water does not stop coming threw the valve, it continues to leak.

The valve has a plastic tap looking thing coming from it which is what is leaking, when I push the float down it pours water freely but doesn't stop when the float is a the top, it only leaks a few drops but it is enough to take it up to the level of the overflow pipe so the water leaks outside.

Is it a case of just replacing the valve, or maybe the washer in the valve?

Also how easy is this to do, is it just a case of switching off the main water supply unscrewing the old one and screwing on a new one?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
na thats way too easy

i think it is a squirrel infestation they like to swing on the ballvalve while cooling there bums

at least $2.000 to sort :LOL: :LOL: ;)

And whilst your water is off fit an iso valve before the float valve......saves time if another is needed in future (and is required under water regs)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

I will go out and get an iso and float valve then, I presume they are all one standard size?

Can anyone tell what is the maximum level the water in the tank should be?

I have read somewhere that it should be just 100mm deep in the tank, elsewhere that it should be an inch under the overflow pipe.

only needs to be just inch or so above the outlet in the bottom of the tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back