Question about mounts for LCD monitor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would like to make a mount for my LCD monitor since there aren't any mounts here.

I want the mount to go up and down, left and right, far and close.

This one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938731&pf_rd_i=507846 is easy to make, since gravity has nothing to do with it.

But if I want to make a similar one that also goes up and down, I won't be able to simply copy the way it moves left and right, because gravity will make the face of the monitor go all the way toward the ground. So, what can I do? How can I make it stop where I want it to stop.

I hope what I'm saying is clear, if not I'll try my best to explain. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Replace the hinge pin with threaded rod or a bolt (machined screw) and wing nuts or knurled nuts, which can tighten into the hinge. Or if it's not going to be adjusted, once set, use a nut and bolt in place of the hinge pin, as in the model illustrated.

Alternatively, an adjustable stay, using similar principles of wingnuts and bolts to tighten into the required position.

Consider a flat plate either side of the 'tilt' hinge, each drilled with a circle of holes in a vernier pattern. That way, once the tilt is set, one pair of holes will line up. Put a dowel pin or bolt through that hole to lock it.

Vernier patterns will yield a myriad of fixed positions. If one plate has, say, 20 holes, and the other has 19, they can be positively locked together in 380 different positions.

I found what seems to be an easy and powerful solution.

Please take a look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUuNbb2Bx4A (3:15 - 3:20)

You will see springs being used, but I don't know how they are exactly used, can you direct me to an article or tell me how to if it's easy?

Sponsored Links
A good idea has come to my mind. I can find used office chairs (which have adjustable heights) and take the gas spring used (I think they are gas springs, whatever they are they do the job.)

The question is, they are very strong! It will be hard for me to pull them down (compress them,) so is there a way to lower their strength? (maybe lowering the amount of gas will do it. But how?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back