Multi saw or Reciprocating SAW ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Bosch PFZ500E Scorpion type saw just died on me. Never really liked it that much anyway so not that bothered. However a replacement presents a choice. For general use on posts, general wood cutting where an electric saw is often quicker and easier to use I am considering a reciprocating saw rather than a Scorpion type saw. Any thoughts appreciated please ?

This one gets high marks everywhere

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1E08QBKCNT95F1PJRBZV

or for half the price

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-to...lister-Reciprocating-Saw-MRS800-800W-10637552

Sponsored Links
Topgazza,
never used a Scorpion type saw so cannot comment on that, but own and have used reciprocating saw many times.

I presume that Scorpion type saw with its deeper blades are more accurate than reciprocating saw (who blades seem to wave about a lot more). But I have made some fairly accurate cuts with reciprocating saw.

I found the Mac-Allister-Reciprocating-Saw (£55) to be great value and lasted me very well. The down side has been that the bolt holding on the 'shoe plate' sheared off so I had to fix this with a new 4mm bolt. The up side is that it is not too heavy, I like its long body length and it relative low vibration in my arms. I bought it as a cheap throw away item, but (for me at least) it has lasted 3 years of relatively hard work.

I have also used the Hitachi Reciprocating-Saw from Screwfix (£130) which was nice as it is shorter in body length, but I found it produced much more tiring vibrations travelling into my arms.

Looking at the DeWatt saw that you showed, it looks great, but I think I have got used to the 'long thin' dimensions, rather than the gun shape. As a halfway cost did you consider the DeWalt DW304PK (£100)? Its head can be rotated in 90degree steps, but this might be a gimmick.
www.screwfix.com/c/tools/corded-rec..._dynSessConf=8934233252406408001&sortBy=price

So my summary:
- The Mac-Allister was great for me needing a cheap, fast Reciprocating-Saw with low vibrations and variable speed. But I am sure it is not great for Trade use.
- Throw away the free blades you get and use good branded blades (such as Bosch blades from Screwfix).
- These saws are heavy and I would worry about using a mailorder company as posting it back if it goes wrong would be very expensive.

SFK

Brilliant stuff. Just the sort of user experience info I was after. I like the long design as well. Problem I found with the Bosch Scorpion design was the terrible vibrations which became a real "pain" after a while. I've had a handle of the MacAllister and I agree about the weight. None of them are light but the MacAllister felt well balanced as well.

Thanks for that

I was going to buy from B&Q as I have a 10% off voucher which makes it even cheaper. What size blades do you suggest... 175mm/240mm... or just a mix ?

Excellent real time advice above.

My two cents would be : how often and for what hard graft will you use the saw?

The generic name for reciprocating saws in the USA is a "Sawzall". Made by Milwaukee, their top corded saws(14amp or 15amp) are the most rugged and powerful and long lasting of all the options. Although DeWalt is creeping up on them.

Determine what materials and lengths you are going to be cutting before buying extra blades. 150mm roughing-in blades will do most tasks.
240v or 120v?
Get one with a quick no-tool blade change.

Sponsored Links
Good points as I would not be a heavy user as such. It will only be used from time to time. But although I didn't think the Bosch Scorpion was very effective having an electric saw was always useful and deprived its worth time and again

Excellent real time advice above.

My two cents would be : how often and for what hard graft will you use the saw?

The generic name for reciprocating saws in the USA is a "Sawzall". Made by Milwaukee, their top corded saws(14amp or 15amp) are the most rugged and powerful and long lasting of all the options. Although DeWalt is creeping up on them.

Determine what materials and lengths you are going to be cutting before buying extra blades. 150mm roughing-in blades will do most tasks.
240v or 120v?
Get one with a quick no-tool blade change.
generic name is 'reciprocating saw'.
Anything else is a brand.

Sawzall is a bit like "Hoover" as in in "I'll just hoover the lounge". Of course thats nothing I would ever say.... as if :eek:

But it interesting how brand names sometimes become generic names. I used to work for Rank Xerox and they use to regularly write legal letters to shops advertising a "Xerox service" asking them to stop using "Xerox" and use than photo copy. Meanies....

I've never heard of a reciprocating saw called anything else but a sawzall on US tracts and sites - not a single instance in my, perhaps limited, experience.
And it was certainly not called a reciprocating saw.

We don't get many of our colonial cousins on here... not since the Boston Tea Party anyway :evil:

I've never heard of a reciprocating saw called anything else but a sawzall on US tracts and sites - not a single instance in my, perhaps limited, experience.
And it was certainly not called a reciprocating saw.
US government likes to keep things simple for you.

What a clever reply. Who helped you write it? I suppose a friend did the research - thats if you have any friends.

However, one must have a bit of sympathy, its no joke for a sensitive guy like yourself after he's been probed by the Kent Aliens.

What them Aliens will do and where they will go to find a brain cell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back