question on draining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was wondering if it's ok to recyle the water in a system simply by attaching a hose to the last radiator's bleed valve (as I would in a complete drain downl) and opening the bleed valve but without securing the ball valve in the f&e so that the system continues to supply fresh water while flushing out the old cruddy stuff.

If so could there be any added benefit in having the pump running for added pressure?

I only did one drain down after having sentinel x400 in the system for 2 months and whilst fiddling with a radiator today learned that one drain down isn't enough to get clear water (duh!).

I don't really want to do a complete drain down and re bleed my radiators again

Sponsored Links
Jeez. I really can't be bothered to work out where to start. Are you serious? I suspect not

Well I figured there was good reason for not doing it this way given that i've never seen it offered up as a method. If you could explain what would happen i'd appreciate it though.

cheers

Turn off supply to expansion tank
Remove all water and sludge and wipe tank clean
Attach hose to drain cock.
Open drain cock
Let water flow out
Open supply to expansion tank
Let water run until clear.
Fit new drain cock washer
Apply X100 to expasion tank
Bleed all radiators, pump and any air vents next to hot water cylinder.
Re bleed after 24-48 hrs

Do not bleed with pump running

Andy

Sponsored Links
Thanks HD2010.
That's what i'd alluded to though seems I can't escape the rad bleed part but that's good enough for me.

I guess I could have written the post better expertgasman but if you couldn't be bothered to work out where to start then maybe you shouldn't have bothered to write your reply. It did nothing for the forum except show what a smart arse you are.

I'm a novice diy'er and have only drained down, bled and changed out a couple of rads so far as central heating is concerned.
If i'm asking what appears to be a dumb question to someone in the know then i'd expect them to ask for further detail not come out with 'I've got nothing to say but aren't you a bit silly' quips.

Jeez it's like reading a video game forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back