Question re boarding loft in new build property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Sorry if this has been asked before...I've bought a small new build property & looking to floor out the loft for storage only - light boxes etc.
The loft is insulated with one roll of insulation between joists, and another laid over the top at 90 degrees to the first. The joists are 72mm high by 35 mm wide, standard distance apart.
What I'm not sure of is whether I should try and compress both layers of insulation below the loft boards (planning to use the standard B&Q tongue and groove pack) .. I have read somewhere that another option is to lay down more joists at right angles to the existing and lay the top insulation layer between them, then floor over that ? Sounds like a lot of work though.. ?
TIA
Mike

Sponsored Links
trouble with compressing insulation is that it reduces it's effectiveness as an insulant.

you might add 6x2" timbers over the joist and relay the insulation and then deck it over the new joists. dumping what you have to replace with something higher performance and lower profile would be messy and expensive.

Hi
Thanks for that. My other worry is adding weight to the existing joists - wouldn't adding the 6x2 timbers, plus the chipboard floor, add too much weight ?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
you can also use rigid foam insulation boards on top of the timbers (take away the upper layer of quilt) and lay your loft floring on top of the rigid foam

If you have a look in teh DIY or Builders sheds you will see suitable rigid foam boards.

It does work out more expensive than quilt though. I used the counterbattening method but I think the foam boards might be a bit less work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back