Questions about Boiler and Electric Shower

So I've checked and the cable is 6mm throughout

Ok so i think i know what i need to ask for, time to choose a shower!
Anything to watch out for?

Also there was mention that the shower needs to be moved to the RCD side, on a side note, what sort of appliances generally go on that side?

Are you sure you feel competent to change and/or move the MCB around the Consumer Unit - don't forget as well as the MCB you will need to change the position of the neutral and cpc conductors and the RCD itself - make sure the circuit is dead before proceeding.

You will also need to remove and make safe that light/shaver socket fitting, if that is what it is, next to the shower.

Finally, you have what looks like a Mira electric shower - it will probably work out cheaper to have one their engineers come out to look at shower and repair it.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't dream of touching the CU, however I do want to get a clear picture of what needs to be done!

I was just wondering why the shower needed to go on the RCD side? Because all I have there at the moment is the sockets (i think)

I am looking to buy the shower myself though, so was just seeing if anyone had any recommendations! Don't really want to get it fixed as I want to get a 10.5kw in!

I wouldn't dream of touching the CU, however I do want to get a clear picture of what needs to be done!
So you will be getting an electrician in then?

I was just wondering why the shower needed to go on the RCD side? Because all I have there at the moment is the sockets (i think)
The manufacturers instructions for the new shower will say so and it is a requirement under BS7671 - 701.411.3.3

I am looking to buy the shower myself though, so was just seeing if anyone had any recommendations! Don't really want to get it fixed as I want to get a 10.5kw in!
In that case you need to speak to your electrician as what you propose will require registering with your Local Authority Building Control.

Yep I will be

I know it is in the regulations, but was just wondering why some stuff needed to be on the RCB side and others not

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Yep I will be

I know it is in the regulations, but was just wondering why some stuff needed to be on the RCB side and others not

Thanks for the help

RCD - RCD....

Look up RCD on the internet there is a lot of information about the different types, how they work and what/who they protect.

RCD as i see it....

they provide cut off protection to prevent electric shocks.

now your more likey to get a shock from a power tool, or appliance that you have hold of are are touching that is plugged into sockets, also in the bathroom or kitchen, where you could be wet.

less likey from smoke alarms, lighting etc.

Also there was mention that the shower needs to be moved to the RCD side, on a side note, what sort of appliances generally go on that side?
Basically:

1) Any where the manufacturer specifies it.

2) Any bathroom circuits.

3) Any socket circuits.

4) Any circuits with cables buried <50mm deep in walls and not mechanically protected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back