Country
United Kingdom
0 - 60??
Nah.
0 - 100??
Nah.
0 - 100 - 0
Oh yes..

Blimey .. where are the 'big boyz' then?

autocar_times1.jpg

...... it's official the 2005 quickest car 0 -100 - 0mph is the Ariel Atom in 10.88 seconds.Using a standard fully road legal Atom 2 300 supercharged Ariel have won this year's Autocar 0-100-0 challenge. With datalogged times done in two directions by the same Autocar test drivers the Atom scorched to 100mph in 6.86 seconds and then stopped from 100mph in 3.8 seconds.
In a seperate test to win the Sunday Times fastest car to 60mph the Atom spanked the opposition with a blistering 2.91 second average making it the world's fastest accelerating production car available today.
:D :D

Sponsored Links
With the Daewoo sorry chevrolet Matiz are we talking MPH or KPH. :LOL:
johnwr

Sponsored Links
A tad difference in engine size :D :D :D :D price otr £34k

We are brits ... small engines, no bodywork accurate timing.
The yankee engine bods demand Hop-along-cassidy watches.. and titchy 377cubic foot ;) 685bhp Chevrolet V8 engine .......... versus a paltry 1998cc Honda vtech .. pah !!... I think the Atom was on a damp track !
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The Atom is definitely the moral winner :D

Of course, despite the yankee engine the Ultima could probably worry the Atom in a twisty race.

Whaaaat ! The yanks producing anything capable of taking a corner less then about 5 mile radius - with crash barriers ! :D :D :D :D :D
Mind you, the old Ferrari F60 beat the atom by 0.5 secs on the topgear circuit... Of course the F60 has more rubber in 2 tyres than the Atom in all four.. and a little more, grunnt.
Regarding records...
"....And then came the Atom. Watching it leave the line was like watching a controlled explosion. It had such an overwhelming surfeit of power its driver didn't even bother using first gear. He simply seleclected second, dropped the clutch and disappeared. On the surface we'd have been stunned if it had hit 60mph in 3.1 sec but, when all six runs were completed, these were the numbers we were faced with: the 'slow' run into the wind took 2.94 sec, the return just 2.88 sec, to give an average 0-60mph of 2.91 sec...."
There we go, nonchalent use of gearbox .... into a head wind half the time ! :D :D :D

power_laps.gif

Cheap as .... chips?
:D :D

10.88 That's rubbish, my Landcruiser can do 0-100-0 in less than 9 gallons. :D

Give me a Caterham Seven any day. I own an MX-5 and the only car I want over that is a Seven. The one selling point is that you can drive it in the rain. The Atom falls over there...

bathroomswap said:
Give me a Caterham Seven any day. I own an MX-5 and the only car I want over that is a Seven. The one selling point is that you can drive it in the rain. The Atom falls over there...

From what I hear you aren't missing much with the Seven. According to an ex-Formula Ford chap I know, the excitable back end makes it great fun to drive for a lap or two, but then you realise it isn't possible to drive it in a spirited fashion without sliding. And that loses a LOT of speed (why do you think Tiff Needell was rubbish as a racing driver? ;) )

And when I see a bearded guy hammering along in his Seven in the middle of winter with no roof, I can't help but wonder if he's a bit of a wally :LOL: A powerful heater helps, but it doesn't keep the rain out. And if you get the roof, it looks like you are in one of those push-chairs with the plastic rain roof :LOL:

bathroomswap said:

Having ridden motorcycles in all weathers ( yep, taken to the pavements in packed snow conditions ;) ) ... the Atom is positively luxurious .. :D :D :D

Trouble with ultra low vehicles on country roads ( most fun ) is, you know who, approaching in his white van, taking the 'racing' line through the righthanders ... based on his view 'over' the hedges.. oooer !! :( :( :eek:

AdamW said:
bathroomswap said:
And when I see a bearded guy hammering along in his Seven in the middle of winter with no roof, I can't help but wonder if he's a bit of a wally :LOL: A powerful heater helps, but it doesn't keep the rain out. And if you get the roof, it looks like you are in one of those push-chairs with the plastic rain roof :LOL:

Sort of agree but not with the beardie comment. Beardie blokes usually drive MGBs ;) The roof on the Seven is nothing compared to the roof on by MX-5. But the heater on the 5 is so hot that driving roof down (I avioded the term topless for this forum :LOL: ) is one of the best things in life on a fresh morning. Truely exhilerating.

Only problem is the roof should not be lowered below 5 degrees.

As far as the rain goes, as long as you are doing more than 30mph, the rain goes over you :D

Except when in inevitable traffic jam :D :D
Tis nice to then contemplate that bus wheel standing beside you, and just how cramped the cockpit may seem if it decided to join in the fun ... been there, looked and thought about it ! :D :D

Sponsored Links
Back