Quiet extractor fan for a stud wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might sound a bit mental, but bear with me.

Our house has a loft conversion, which upon moving in I've repurposed as a home cinema. I studded and boarded the window as I had no want of light in the room.

It's fine, but it's a little warm in summer; it obviously gets warmer still once the projector is running. I have considered installing a mini-split AC unit, but it's probably overkill for a couple of months a year and I don't really want a fugly compressor on the side of the house.

I was thinking about mounting a fan on the plasterboard, and making another small hatch so that I can open and close the window behind. The alternative would be to remove the board and put some blackout Velcro curtains up, but I'd still need to extract the air.

Ideally I'd like a large fan running at a lower speed - are window extractor fans my best bet? I'm not really sure what section of the market I should be looking at, because not many people would have such deranged requirements.

Sponsored Links
You're correct in that you need large low speed fans
You won't find what you need in a domestic product
Some kind of light tunnel painted black inside with three right angles so that light doesn't penetrate

I thought that would be the case, good call on the tunnel. Do you have any idea what those sort of fans would be sold for? It's tricky searching without a known application.

Edit: I've thought about it and I think I'm going to use a couple of 250+mm 'silent' PC fans attached to a DC adapter. They don't make much noise, and are relatively low cost.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back