Extractor Fans - Quiet Silent Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had the following experience I thought I would share ... it had always seemed to me that for our bathroom extractor ... the plasteboard was resonating with the motor and causing more noise than necessary. It was a standard Manrose unit.
Anyway, I gut a gasket of white high density foam 3mm (ebay for £2) and stuck that between the unit and the plasterboard .. the result is that the low bass frequencies are almost totally gone and the sound doesn't go very far, which is a good result, although the unit still makes noise.
My neighbours also did this and put rockwool around the immediate vicinity of the pipe above the fan, also with good results ... seems to muffle it ... I can hear it because it's directly below.

So ... I believe that the fans on the market - even the "silent" ones - don't have the foam gasket and often the most annoying noise is the result of the ceiling/wall becoming a large low frequency drum ... which can be sorted out as above.

And the same goes for kitchen extractors that are often fixed directly to the ceiling and also perhaps also boilers.

Sponsored Links
manrose fans are not very good, or very quiet.

Post a pic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back