Quietening In-Line fan vent noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted a Manrose in-line fan in my loft for my bathroom. As previously mentioned by others the fan itself is very quiet.
However the noise from the extraction grill is far louder than I imagined. Although it is reassuring to hear the power of the fan drawing air through the vent I would like to quieten it if I can. I appreciate that I can reduce the speed setting from the default fast (the highest of the three options) but is there another way?

Sponsored Links
your grill may be too small or obstructing airflow. What is the size? Please show a pic.

If you take the grill off and let the duct suck, is it quiet?

Is it possible to move the fan further away from the suction grill and nearer to the exit grill .

Sponsored Links
Not AFAIK because it sucks but also pushes the air. If you see what I mean;) As to noise It should help but if not you may be able to get some noise attenuation tube. Worth a try.

If you have space you could make a box and connect the fan suction and bathroom pipe to it. The box would be made of wood, well sealed and insulated and I suppose 300mm each direction. That would prevent the noise.
Not sure how to prevent the condensation risk completely, perhaps I should have suggested made of plastic and drained.

What sort of ducting have you used - flexible or rigid ? Flexible ducts can be quieter but restrict airflow more, rigid ducts are free-er flowing but also act duct any noise from the fan (both airborne and mechanical) over long distances.

I have fitted a Manrose in-line fan in my loft for my bathroom. As previously mentioned by others the fan itself is very quiet.
However the noise from the extraction grill is far louder than I imagined. Although it is reassuring to hear the power of the fan drawing air through the vent I would like to quieten it if I can.
It's so loud that it's unacceptable to you when you're under the shower?

True, he doesn't state that.

But surely if not showering then a lower speed might be OK?

What sort of ducting have you used - flexible or rigid ? Flexible ducts can be quieter but restrict airflow more, rigid ducts are free-er flowing but also act duct any noise from the fan (both airborne and mechanical) over long distances.
I have flexible ducting distances bathroom ceiling to fan 4ft and fan to soffit 6ft. Extending distance from bathroom doesn't improve noise.
It's so loud that it's unacceptable to you when you're under the shower?
Not while under shower but the 15 minutes spent in the bathroom afterwards. Comparing my fan noise to my sons makes mine noisy. His was fitted during a bathroom installation and whilst looking the same as mine. His is 23W 2 speed and mine is 25w 3 speed. His is barely audible while mine is very obvious.
I have yet to try lowering it to medium setting whilst searching for other ideas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back