Rabbit Hutch timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is actually for a pair of house rabbits but...

a colleague has a pair of house rabbits which have been given pretty much the run of the flat while in lockdown. She's concerned that when she returns to work they will lose their freedom (they eat everything) if returned to their smaller nighttime cage.

So she's asked me about building a multi level hutch with ramps.
I have access to quite good softwood timber that's not (afaik) treated
I was thinking of more or less four vertical posts with ply flooring

Obviously there needs to be doors for access etc and mesh.

Will they nibble the timber? I don't think it requires any treatment if indoors? If it does is there "pet safe" stuff? ideas?

Timber wise would using 3x1 formed into an L shape be good for the corners?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Avoid external corners inside, they will need to get an edge to start gnawing. I made one years ago from external ply, timber batten frame ply on the outside insulation (old polystyrene tiles) in the recess and sheets of ply pinned to the inside of the frame. the only place they can get to is the inside of the door frame so pin the wire mesh inside, sharp edges closing against the frame.
My wife came home to see this 6ft x 2f x 2ft box and remarked it looked like I was making her a coffin!

OK thanks.
So it may be easier to make each side out of a timber frame, add mesh on the inside, then screw the sides together?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back