Timber for rabbit hutch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning gents
I have been tasked with building a rabbit hutch following days of trawling petshops and looking at the junk they sell for very high prices.
I have sorted a design etc but am now wondering about the timber to use. Planning to use 2"x2" for all framework and then either exterior grade plywood or shiplap T&G for the paneling/cladding on the outside. So the question is which is the most suitable for this job ply or T&G?

Thanks in advance for any help

ATB

BluePhase

Sponsored Links
Have you asked the rabbit :LOL:

Use the cheapest, because the rabbit will probable chew it anyway. Ply is easiest for construction and will probably be more weather proof. T&G will require some treatment to weatherproof it. Bear this in mind as its a rabbit hutch as you don't want to kill the bunny.

I would go for plywood - although I have also used OSB (oriented strand board) for making a two-level ferret hutch (no,I don't know how I got talked into it either ;) )
And is it for permanent outside use ? If so,felting the roof is a good move - helps the waterproofing,but out of the way of the rabbits teeth :D

go for shiplap or tgv boards.
The ply will always seperate in time eaven marine ply(which is verry expensive)
they are just layers glued together that WILL seperate and flake off in time.
you wont get that problem with shiplap.
And lets face it shiplap is going to look so much better that ply.

Sponsored Links
space the floor off the ground like a pallet because of cold and damp from the ground

but if you can make the floor easily removable you can replace it when it goes rotten

No wood preservatives as they will chew it and be poisoned

You could probably use a waxy water repellent stain for the outside only

osb flakes as well,
also my rabbits used to pull the bits of osb strands off.
and it just dont look as good as shiplay.
isnt it supposed to be something like at least 6inches off the ground?

Don't forget to put a good lock on the door, not just a simple catch. One of my most traumatic childhood memories is of when a fox got into our rabbit hutch and left our poor Smokey strewn all around the back alley.
I was only about 5 or 6, I loved that little rabbit. :cry:

Edit: oops just noticed the age of this post. His bunny's probably foxfood by now. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back