timber cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a few questions about fitting some shiplap timber cladding (not hardwood or T&G) the cladding will be fitted horizontally to vertical 25x50 batons, should I fit horizontal batons at the top and bottom of the verticals to prevent insect/small animal infestation in the "cavity" behind the cladding or leave it open for ventilation?
Is it necessary to space the cladding horizontally and if so how do I go about spacing it....read about using matchsticks or similar which is easy at the ends of the cladding but not so easy at the centres...won't the centres "sag"?..cladding is in 3.9m lengths.
Finally....any advantage to pre-drilling the cladding and should I put 1 or 2 nails across the width(150mm) I'm planning to use annular ring shanks, hand hammered in.
Sorry for so many questions but just trying to get ahead of the game before I start...I usually find stuff out after I put the last nail in only to find I should've done something different!
Any tips/advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Leave the top and bottom open, the top can be clad right up to the roof overhang/soffit.
Fit insect mesh to the bottom, but it must be kept clear for airflow. You can use slightly smaller battens, 18mm thick is fine.

Spacing can be done manually, install from bottom to top, making sure each board is raised very slightly from the resting position.

Pilot drill is time consuming, but guarantees no splits. Ring shanks are a good choice, be sure to use stainless or sheradised, just the one nail across the width, trapping the board below. (See pic)

You can do 2 nails for the final top board, but drill the top one with a pilot hole a couple of mm bigger, just smaller than the nail head, for expansion.

diagram_3.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back