Large ply panels instead of T&G cladding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am renovating a lean-to conservatory with single-skin walls.

I have tanked and batonned the walls (horizontal batons for vertical T&G).

I intend to line the walls with insulation the same depth as the batons, before putting up the cladding.

I am on a tight budget and I figure that it will be cheaper to put up large, single panels of 9mm or 12mm ply, rather than using T&G cladding. I think the finish will look better too (I prefer a flat surface rather than obvious panelling), and I intend to use recessed countersunk screws and skim over the heads to make them invisible.

My question is, if I use ply instead of T&G, will it warp over time? I am tempted to think not, because I made my bath panel out of 9mm ply and it is fine. I just want to double-check what are potential problems with my cheap solution!

Sponsored Links
Use tapered edge plasterboard and tape & fill the joints & screw holes, cheaper than ply, better surface and it won't move.

JAson

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back