Rad not heating up after draining the system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all
;)

Have a Vaillant 824 TurboMAX fitted on a 3 bed house. Was checking the Magnaclean filter on it (been installed 4 yrs approx) and did this after draining out the whole system (as the isolators on the Magnaclean are crap and don't work very well).

I do this filter check / clean approx twice a year, via draining the system + then filling it back up again. Never had a problem until now.........

The boiler is fitted in the Kitchen + the rad closest to it isn't heating up at all. All the remaining 6 rads in the house heat up 100%.....but I can't get this rad in the Kitchen to heat up. Any ideas?

I've bled all the rads numerous times also + the valves seem ok visually. The system over all has been installed 4 yrs approx.

On a seperate note the Maganclean's magnet has burst, gonna have to replace that also :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
could be several things

Blocked pipe, rad stat jammed or air lock.Easiest way to find out is to turn the rad valves off and remove the rad. then carefully bleed each rad valve in to a bucket.Then you know where the flow has stopped.

Have you had an oxidised debris fall through the pipe work to the kitchen rad?
If so the pipe work maybe blocked on flow of even the return leg, preventing circulation of hot water.
This could happen quite easily if you have small bore pipework.
I had a case recently on micro-bore plastic, when the Magnaclean was over due a service, debris/sludge had got in to the flow leg of downstairs rad, the system would fill up and rad would bleed as normal through the return leg but that rad would not heat up. Ended up having to clear the pipe.

Thanks for the reply guys

So the best approach would be to isolate the rad, take it off to drain + check?

Question is how do I check if the pipes coming into + out of the rad are blocked?

Don't know if it helps.......I've got a plastic pipe system throughout the house with copper tails upto the rads. Not sure on the manufacturer of the plastic pipe, but I presume it was the cheapest range available.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply guys

So the best approach would be to isolate the rad, take it off to drain + check?
Yep!
Question is how do I check if the pipes coming into + out of the rad are blocked?
As Armo74 says, once you have removed rad, then open valves in to a water collector and see if both flow and return give you some.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back