rad valve with integral drain off

Sponsored Links
Looking at it it should just drain the rad if the valves at both ends are off.

These drain off system not radiator. To drain the rad without system drain:

1/ PUT DOWN DUSTSHEET!!!

2/ isolate flow and return valves

3/ with a small container of some sort crack the valve union and release the water into your container. After a short while you will be able to open the vent to allow air in and this will increase the flow.

4/ continue until no more water is coming from the rad and you will be able to disconnect both unions.

5/ BE AWARE THERE WILL STILL BE A SMALL AMOUNT OF WATER IN THE RAD THIS WILL BE FULL OF MAGNETITE AND WILL STAIN!!!!

6/ best to use an old rag or similar and insert into the 2 openings to prevent any further water loss

7/ Replace vent plug

8/ Remove rad from wall and flip upside down at the earliest oppurtunity.

et voila.. rad off wall, carpet still clean!!?? (hopefully)

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks.

When I reinstall the radiator, should I add some corrosion inhib directly into it (before I repressurise) to maintain the system concentration. It is a very new system (2 months).

Cheers

a plastic tray (as used for roller paint emulsion) is handy for catching the water as it fits under the nuts

Good idea to put a bit more inhibitor in, though not essential if the system was properly inhibited (a litre of chemical will do for 100 litres of water, which is about 10 rads worth). As the system is fairly new I hope you will find the water is very clean. if not, especially if you get black sediment out, or you suspect it was not flushed and inhibited when installed, you could drain and flush it, and refill with inhibitor.

If inhibitor was used at installation, there will with luck be a label near the boiler saying what brand was used. sentinel and fernox are good brands.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back