Radiator and system to be drained down. 2 Problems?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone got any suggestions please? I am trying to drain down my heating circuit to change a faulty thermostat valve on the ground floor. i am a useful diyer but have a few questions before i start if i may ask?

i have a few drops from the ceiling to may radiators, and i believe these both need to be drained separately to get all of the water out of the system? is this true? how can i be sure that all the water is out before i loosen the nut on the old valve? i don't want to ruin the floors (too much)! and want to be sure all the water has gone before i loosen anything.

i will add more inhibitor on re-fill so want to be sure of completely emptying the system for that reason also.

my last point is this: i only have 1 drain valve in my house and this is near another ground floor radiator. but this is very stiff and will not undo. so what can i do to drain my circuit?! also will i need to more than 1 drain valve really as i have 2 drops!

any advice will be fantastic. thanks for helping if you can

Sponsored Links
If your drain off doesn't work, then you will need to turn off both rad valves to the radiator and drain that rad quickly outside, with thumbs over both ends to stop the water/dirty colouyred water usually, from spilling allk over the carpet.

Then you'll need to make a device such as a 15mm straight coupler (compression type) with a short length of 15mm pipe fitted into the open end, screw the other end of the connector on to one of the rad valves and put your hose pipe on to the copper pipe (use a jubilee clip if poss). The open the rad valve and the system will start to drain!!!

If your drain off doesn't work, then you will need to turn off both rad valves to the radiator and drain that rad quickly outside, with thumbs over both ends to stop the water/dirty colouyred water usually, from spilling allk over the carpet

that should be fun if your on your own and its a 1000mm long full of water.

the poster didn't state how long the rad was!!! - if it is that long then he's gonna need a mate wit him! Or the wife!

what else would you suggest then seco services to the poster?

Sponsored Links
drain the rad before he removes it.

i don't take a mate with me just to remove a rad or drain a system.

yeah he could drain the rad in a drip try if he has one, or an old bucket. those collar thing around the pipes are good too...

better than my idea seco services!

of course there's also the problem of not being able to fully shut of TRVs if the poster has one??

Hi again

Thank you for your responses. I have a thermostat vale - how do i fully shut this off before draining down the radiator. I do believe they do not fully close off the water supply?

of course there's also the problem of not being able to fully shut of TRVs if the poster has one??

then use the 5 pence trick or bung the system till you have removed the rad and fitted a hose.

or make a drain ponit in the pipework

sorry i am a little confused... i am not sure the 5 pence trick will work, i have heard about it though, but the bunging the system trick also had fault i believe. how do i make a drain point in the pipework if the system is full?

if i am to shut off both rads, drain the valve and insert my straight connector and pipe to the hose pipe connection, how can i be sure the trv will fully shut off?? any other ways to be sure it will be turned off 100% fully.

also will the system be hard to re-fill as of all the drops? any ways to help re-fill quicker if i get air in the system please...

sorry i am a little confused... i am not sure the 5 pence trick will work

whys that ? never failed me yet.
i have heard about it though, but the bunging the system trick also had fault i believe. how do i make a drain point in the pipework if the system is full?

i don't know where you hear all this but it isn't true providing you have your bungs in tight it works.
i'm sure i wouldn't drain a customers system to just do a valve.

if i am to shut off both rads, drain the valve and insert my straight connector and pipe to the hose pipe connection, how can i be sure the trv will fully shut off?? any other ways to be sure it will be turned off 100% fully.
if your trv don't shut you'll soon know as the rad will take ages to drain.

also will the system be hard to re-fill as of all the drops? any ways to help re-fill quicker if i get air in the system please...

all systems are different, thats why we try to avoid draining for a simple job.

where can i get one of those self cutting drain tools from? sounds good to me...

I tried the 5p in the trv on the pin but the head wouldn't screw on again afterwards. and the bungs i tried them ages ago and water came pouring out of the valve / pipe so i pacicked!! i bought drayton rubber bung kit from b and q. they seem thick and chunky and good quality though. what bungs do you use i'll get a pair.

thanks seco for all your advice i am grateful to you. all the best.

i use one of these from a plumbers merchant.

mid_product_ABAUVSC100505.jpg

or you can get these from bq that you fit a hose to.

imageskom.jpg

did you have the trv set to its highest screw it on then close it.

you can get two black rubber pipe bungs from bq

the pipe bungs are the ones i have but water poured out and i got scared!!!! haha

maybe i didnt have them in tight enough but i thought i did.

i'll try the 5p trick and the bungs again. how much did you pay? that drain valve clamp looks good.... will try and buy one.

when you put the bungs in you will loose abit of water at first till the vaccum has formed 1/2 pint at most.

can't remember on the prices as it was ages ago.

bes do the draincock for £3.10 + vat
mid_product_ABAUVSC100505.jpg

this one from bq you need a 3/4 fitting to fit your hose as well.
hozelock2175.jpg

imageskom.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back