Radiator cold at bottom warm up top. Ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Relatively new boiler (6 months or so) rads are warm up top but cold at the bottom. When boiler was installed I was told they'd flushed through the system to remove any sludge. Installer is now increasingly difficult to contact. Anyone got any ideas.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Don't know if i'm allowed to answer questins here, but I always thought that problem was due to them needing to be bled?

There is a screw, or bleed key nut at the top of the rad, unscrew it slightly and air wil hiss out, then eventually water will start to spit out. BUT BE WARNED...the water is black, very black so I always wrap a towel around the screw driver (or bleed key). That way I don't get black carpets.

Mine need doing quite often. Don't know why.

I'd maybe get a professionals answer first though!

I always thought that the rads needed bleeding when it was the other way round (ie cold at top warm down bottom) but not too sure. Will give it a go anyhow!

Cheers

Oh yeah, thats true, think I read your post wrong, sorry mate!

It may well be something completley different then.

Sponsored Links
Just noticed there's a few topics on the same subject so must be a common issue. Apologies for that (I should've searched the forum first)

PSP-Paul said:
...the water is black, very black ....
........Mine need doing quite often....

Paul - this indicates that your pipes and radiators are corroding. You need a corrosion inhibitor, such as Sentinel, in the water to stop it happening any more. It would also be an advantage to clear out the black sediment that will have accumulated in the system with a good flush and a chemical clean (Sentinel do them as well) and both are available at your DIT shed or plumbers merchant, or at a good price from Screwfix. A one litre bottle of each is enough for most houses.

You have to put put in new inhibitor after flushing or draining.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back