Radiator colder at the bottom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its a Myson 600mm tall x 900mm wide Type 22 fed by 10mm push fit and has been in service since about 2003/07 when the house was built.

I've watched a number of videos on YT about sludge at the bottom and removing/flushing the radiator. Some recommend light hammering with a rubber mallet whilst flushing to get the sludge dislodged.

I've tried the tips, flushing with the rad upright and upside down while tapping the bottom with the mallet but not much black sludge flushing out.

Rad is back on the wall, connected and bled but still not getting hot at the bottom, really just lukewarm.

Can anyone recommend other tasks I can try please?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Apologies, I should also have mentioned the rad acts as the bypass rad for the system. Its the only one without a thermostatic valve.

The lock shield valves on all the other rads are open by not more than a turn, some only 1/2 turn.

Being the bypass rad, both lock shield valves are open about 2/3. As suggested, I will experiment closing other rads.

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back