Radiator heat problem after removing and replacing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
-Hello all- Quite a long thread but appreciate yuor help and patients
This will be like bread and butter to you guys i imagine!

I had to remove a radiator from our living room over the weekend so that the wall could be plastered. Was a little nervous due to lack of knowledge, but seeked advise from here and it came off quite easy apart from spilling most the water on the floor as it was that heavy when getting it through the door. :D Wife not laughing

Anyway our combi is a Baxi 105HE model (what's the HE stand for "high explosive) :)

On replacing the rad, I did the complete reverse to connect it back on, but nothing every goes straight forward in our house so i was prepared with the worst - when i turned the valves back on (return and heat control)
I couldn't hear any water coming through, I opened the bleed valve and let loads of air out, then the water started to come though (cool)

Right i think all is swell so wack the heating on full blast to check the fitted radiator is getting hot - 15 minutes later no heat what so ever from the replaced RAD or any other radiator to that matter. I checked the combi and the red LED light on the temp gauge was flashing - but no noise coming from it like there normally should be. After doing a lot of reading on here learned that this may be caused by lack of pressure to the system. I checked the pressure valve and yes it was at zero. (suker) sussed out how to put more pressure through by turning both valves underneath, I set the pressure now to 1 bar to be on the safe side.

sound the combi kicked in and i could hear water coming through the radiators - I checked the one down stairs for heat again and it was getting hot at the right hand side but not the left - I used the bleed key again to get rid of the air and there was a little (THE RAD IS NOw FULLY HOT) yes getting there
As i went upstairs i checked the rest of the rads and one was totally cold - this is the one that is close by to the combi boiler - I bled that and loads of air was trapped. Problem yet again!! the boiler went off and on checking the pressure it had fallen back to zero once again. So i'm like what is going on - I need to put pressure though to operate the heating but air is trapped in the radiators so they need to be bled, If i bleed them then the pressure falls back to zero. Am i doing this totally wrong and if so what is the correct procedure please. (brain is fryed)

Thankyou V much

Sponsored Links
You need to keep filling the system until all the air is out.

Ok, so i just keep topping up the pressure and bleeding and this will cure it. ?

Thanks

Will also need balancing once all the air is out. Incorrect balancing can push the gasbill up bY 5 to 10%

Sponsored Links
~Thanks for your help - will have a look into how this is done as our heating bills are already high

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back