Radiator life span

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Having some work done soon to install a couple of new radiators and it got me wondering if it's worth replacing some others at the same time - we have a few with severe rust around where the valves enter the radiators for example.

I think the radiators in question have been in place for thirty years. Would they be worth changing?

Sponsored Links
In short, yes and it will benefit the whole system for the rads to be refreshed at the same time.

Nope.

Take them off and give them a good clean using a rubber mallet and a hose pipe.

Good as new. (The difference is astonishing).

BlueLoo, did you not read this bit ..... ?
"a few with severe rust around where the valves enter the radiators" ..... why would you chance a leak for the relatively small cost of a new rad as opposed to a blow out of very hot water ?

Sponsored Links
we have a few with severe rust around where the valves enter the radiators for example.

I think the radiators in question have been in place for thirty years. Would they be worth changing?
Depends on how bad the rust is, valves must have been leaking slightly ever since tails were fitted. Do the rads warm up well overall and is it just around the rad tail tappings where they're bad? Is the system water clean? Do the rads heat the space efficiently? Are they convecting rads?

If so then drain rad, remove tails, use a small circular wire brush on a drill and clean and check the tappings in and out, if they clean up ok without losing any material then no need to replace, done it many times when changing to new valves. Use a little rust treatment and then refit tails, then a little white paint to seal up rusted areas. As long as everything is sealed back up properly then there shouldn't be an issue.

Having some work done soon to install a couple of new radiators and it got me wondering if it's worth replacing some others at the same time - we have a few with severe rust around where the valves enter the radiators for example.

Mine are 40+ years old, not a good reason for changing them. Over the years, because of condensing boilers, the return temperature ought to be cooler, but my radiators were sized for SG, draughts and no CWI. Having done those fixes, the are now over sized, which suits the condensing boilers.

None are rusty, internally or externally, but if I had serious concerns, I would swap them sooner, rather than later.

These are probably the worst offenders.

20231120_175558.jpg
20231120_175604.jpg

I'd always have a go and see if they would clean up. If they are badly pitted, rusted through then may be time to replace but they can clean up surprisingly well. The tappings tend to be made of nice thick material, especially on older rads.

Those rads look like early stelrad accords so totally steel rad .
One of first rads to be totally automatic welded.
Originally the plugs used fiber washers often leaked as you can see!

BlueLoo, did you not read this bit ..... ?
"a few with severe rust around where the valves enter the radiators" ..... why would you chance a leak for the relatively small cost of a new rad as opposed to a blow out of very hot water ?
I did.
Rust is normally surface and will clean up without issue.

Deep corrosion is another matter

Hi all,

I’ve been replacing mine which are over 30 years old…new rads do look nice and they have those closed off ends and tops now

for DIYers Wickes do really good prices on Stelrad Compact

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back