Radiator Ping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my radiators in the sitting room when heat going through it seems to ping as if someone is hitting it with a piece of metal. The radiator was new in the summer but has only started doing it recently. Any thoughts on this please.

Sponsored Links
Was it supplied with small plastic spacers/clips that go on the brackets where the rad hangs on the brackets?

Many rads have these plastic pieces that prevent metal to metal contact between the rad and the wall bracket. If they were omitted, the rad will click as it expands and contracts. The clips let the rad slide smoothly on the bracket, so that the metal rad doesn't dig into the metal of the bracket.

i have noticed this too on the rads i have been using, (plastic bits fitted) but still ping when heating and cooling, so i've stopped using them and gone to myson rads, so far they've been ok but cost more,

Not sure about the plastic bits being ommited but the ping seems to be coming from the inside of the rad, but as fettlerman says it happens during heating and cooling.

Sponsored Links
If it happens during heating/cooling, it is possible that the clips are missing. Sometimes the manufacturer forgets to put them in the box, so they don't get fitted.

It may sound like its coming from inside the rad, but if the mountings are the problem, the clicking/pinging will resonate through the whole rad. This will give the impression it comes from inside.

First thing is to see if the plastic bits are fitted. If not, contact rad manufacturer to see if they are available.

Many thanks whitespirit66 for the info will have a look and see if that could be the problem,many thanks Willie.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back